Thursday, March 18, 2010

Clockwork thoughts and inclass dicussion.

Today in class we spoke of things we agreed on as well as disagreed on. One thing stuck out at me and that was number 10. It said that music education and sports could help refine those who had been in trouble or such the like. I strongly agree with this. I'm a coach at Kennard Dale. I coach the cross country team (not being head coach just assistant) and I see some real aggression in some of the kids, some of them had ISS a lot and what not (Not all of them just about 3). Now they couldn't run because of penalties like that but I saw they were frustrated even more because they couldn't run. I see the good in these kids and when they run they are care free and happy, they cant wait to get out of school to run. Its therapeutic to them as to me. Though Ive been dubbed "the running Nazi" Coach Jeff said they had taken a real liking to me and run better when I'm out with them ( I don't let them curse, and if they do I make them do hell hill sprints, Ive heard they catch themselves and stop cursing even with out me around. I think its all due to the running.). A boost to my ego yes, but I like to seem them happy and if they couldn't run I ponder where would the spend their aggression and angst? I feel its a great outlet because even after they run and cool down they are mellow for the rest of the day. I would strongly agree with this indubitably. I really think that running can refine people. I believe that Alex really does regret his actions, one would have to be a cold heartless human being to not worry about such upon reflection of their actions. I believe Alex was misguided, he did make the choice to rob the old woman but never wanted to kill her, and for a brief moment when he was told he killed her there seemed a bit of remorse. Also taking a liking to the bible/ religion can possibly show some good in his character yet, though his odd thoughts and dreams of religion were strange.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with that statement too. It keeps youth busy and gives them something to feel good about. I don't think it would work for all youth, but definitely for many. When it comes to him reading the Bible, I think he just liked it for the violent parts, not for real religious reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the statement also. Having a place to turn to when one wants to stay out of trouble is always positive aspect. The youth need places for guidance if there is a problem when they cant get to their parents fast enough. Thats why I feel as though when people give back to the youth of the community they are doing something very positive and sincere because deep done the youth really need help when they are in trouble. Having places step up in the community may reduce the rate of violence within the youth because keeping them busy may lead to less violence.

    ReplyDelete