Thursday, April 8, 2010

Fahrenheit 451 first thoughts

To be completely honest i found this book a little dry and hard to get into at first. However by the end of part one i could tell things were escalating, and this caught my attention. I found it odd that the little girl and her family just went missing. After talking to my group and a few saying that she may not be dead made me wonder if she was. However i still think the government had something to do with the sudden move of the family. When the fire chief was talking to Guy he said that normally they are easy to nip the at the bud at a young age but people like her are rare and dangerous. This i believe shows that the government in Fahrenheit 451 is scared of an educated society. When Beatty was talking about the cradle to school it just shows that they are being controlled at a young age, so this way it makes the people blind and hard for them to resist. Now i see why the woman wanted to burn with her books. It seemed to me it was more than just books but her way of life. Without her books it was like shed have no identity. If you read books it seems to give you a personality, one the government did not like. If you don't read you will not obtain one, like Mildred; just as dead as the firehouses "dog."

4 comments:

  1. I also do not think that Clarisse is dead but that the government had something to do with her disappearance. You brought up a very good point that reading books gave the woman an identity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also interpreted Clarisse's disappearance as odd. It seems as though there would be more to it if she had died. There has to be another reason, of some sort for her to have left. And even if she did die, why would her family just simply move? I feel that you make a good point that the government doesn't want people to think to make them controllable. You have really good thoughts in your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought about Clarisse not really being dead until we discussed it in our group. Now that I think about it, i really think that she isn't. It's just too odd.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think that Clarisse and her family are dead. I also like the point you put about how without reading books it almost seems as though we lack our own personality.

    ReplyDelete