Thursday, February 4, 2010

Media and ads and how we soak them up like dry sponges .

When asked the question in class am I a/ the target market? I would say yes, and i would safely assume that not just me but every single person is. When I flip through my magazine Super Street (an import tuner mag.) I see ads for everything for your car. Now I own two cars, one is my EG Civic coupe with a D16z6/ y8 hybrid motor, and no its not the gas saver kind; more like the Mustang/ muscle car killer kind. The other is my daily driver, a Toyota Camry. When I flip through Super Street I see all kinds of ads, Turbonetics T3-T04 ball bearing turbos, or Endless Racing coilovers or Falken performance tires. I seem them, and though I may not need them I want, no; i have to have them because Vaughn "Jr." Gittin uses them when he drift races? As absurd as it may sound its true. The worst is that the market may as well say you need this, and like hypnotized puppets of the industry we say in a monotonously voice "We need this." I saw an ad in one of my older Tuner mags. that said "Only the winners WIN the girls." The picture showed a pro drift racer with a whole bunch of girls around him and in the corner of the page you see four fresh new tires, on nice new shiny rims. Now prior to this class I would never have noticed nor would I have really cared about it. However now I see that this ad is saying become live everyone else, fit in, use our product and you'll become a hit with the ladies. Not only that but it was selling the product with sex. "You want a hot girl in your life, well you never will unless you become one of our drones and buy our tires. The girls will flock to you if you do." Is what I got out of that ad. Needless to say I am not a fan. My girlfriend doesn't like me because I use Toyo performance tires on my Civic. Not at all she likes me for me. So after noticing this I flipped through the magazine again and noticed I liked the simple and to the point ads. There is an ad with just the product name and the product, nothing sexual, no hidden phrases. What I use to think was not appealing at all I find now it is the most enjoyable. I believe that if we could get more people notice this themselves then ads will tone down the sex and discrimination. I could be wrong but I hope I'm right. This makes me think again of that tiny town I love and grew up in. There was never any of this when I was a kid, so I think I was saved or at least prolonged from most of the brain washing that has been going on for years. Only in simplicity can we live easier more laid back lives. Why clutter everything with ads and things we think we need but have no use for?

3 comments:

  1. I find it humorous, given your thoughtful analysis of the "tire" ad, that the implication is that women will somehow be allured to a man if he has "good tires." ha. I don't know any woman who even notices such things...if anything, I think the "tires" would have a better chance of catching the attention of other men. But, of course you're right. The "lifestyle" is what is being sold. ie: to be a powerful, sexual potent man, you have to have a car (and tires) that will catch the eye of a worthy woman. Ridiculous. But sadly, effective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. you'll need to email your peers to get their blog addresses, so that they can start engaging in your observations! I can show you how to add them if you are not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dont know how to add anyone so that would be great. Being technology inept run in the family.

    ReplyDelete